We create a safe environment for children to progress with their challenges and goals
Pediatric rehabilitation brings health and healing together for your child and family
We hope you begin to notice an improvement in your child after their first few visits, as well as take home some great information and ways to assist your child in furthering their development and/or healing. Our pediatric rehabilitation offers the latest evaluation and treatment techniques to help improve the function and quality of life for children with a variety of diagnoses and disabilities.
Our calm, comfortable atmosphere is most conducive to effective treatment. With a newly expanded space, we now offer areas designed specifically for treating your child, as well as private rooms for parents’ needs during or following the session.
Our therapists have expertise and experience in a wide range of activities, so we understand where you and your child are coming from, and where you want to go.
Working with young athletes is our specialty
Young athletes are experiencing more “adult-like” injuries which can sideline them for extended periods of time. Because children’s bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments are growing along with changes occurring in their coordination, strength, and stamina, they are more susceptible to injury when compared to adults. Our therapists at West Portland Physical Therapy Clinic understand skeletal growth and maturity. We provide age-appropriate treatment plans to assist your child in a safe healing progression, help them return to their normal activities, and train them to prevent future injuries.
Specific services we offer for young athletes
It is important for your child to learn proper movement patterns and techniques to assist in safe play and performance in a variety of sports. Our therapists will perform movement assessment screens to assist your child in proper movement mechanics and will provide recommendations to keep them game-ready. This service is offered pre-season for prevention, but can also be used if your child is recovering from an injury or healing after a surgery, such as Anterior Cruciate Ligament reconstruction. Our staff is ready to address your child’s specific rehabilitation needs and put him or her on the road to recovery.
We create a safe and fun environment for children to progress with their individual challenge and goal.
Understanding your child
West Portland Physical Therapy Clinic is pleased to offer outpatient pediatric rehabilitation services to the children in our community. We evaluate and treat children with neurologic, orthopedic, and congenital disorders for children of any age from birth through adolescence. We understand that every child is unique and deserves specific, individualized treatment approaches to assist in reaching their greatest potential.
We help children with all types of conditions and injuries.
Conditions we treat
• Developmental delay
• Infant torticollis (tight neck muscle) and/or plagiocephaly (flatness on the back or side of the head)
• Coordination and balance disorders
• Connective tissue disorders such as Ehlers Danlos
• Various hip disorders such as hip dysplasia, Legg-Calvé-Perthes, and slipped capital femoral epiphysis (SCFE)
• Genetic conditions
• Neurological impairments such as cerebral palsy
• Post fracture and sprains
• Sports injuries and kids returning to sport after an injury (sprains, strains, ligamentous tears including ACL reconstruction)
A plan for success
• Motor control and motor learning to assist with developmental activities
• Balance and coordination activities
• Adaptive play
• Manual therapy
• Strengthening and neuromuscular re-education to enhance performance and minimize risk for injury
• Flexibility exercises to increase range of motion
• Use of Kinesio Tape to alleviate pain, reduce edema, optimize performance, and re-educate the neuromuscular system
• Electrical stimulation for neuromuscular re-education
• Dartfish video analysis of movement pattern disorders
• Parent and caregiver education to assist and support their child’s development
How we treat
We believe that successful treatment is the result of consistency in care. Your child will work with the same physical therapist throughout their rehabilitation in order to maintain a consistency of treatment, allowing your child to develop trust and a relationship with their therapist while receiving hands on care. This partnership will help your child achieve their personal goals, as well as age appropriate milestones, and goals that you may have for your child.